Every year, thousands of children are diagnosed with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. Cancer remains the leading cause of death by diseases for children under age 15. The origins of pediatric cancer are still largely unknown, and although through discoveries are resulting in new treatments, these heartbreaking diseases continue to scar families and communities in ways that may never be able to heal.
Founder of 1Wish, Valerie was faced with this very same situation when she learned that her four-year-old daughter had been diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Soon after her diagnoses, she, her family and the community would surround her daughter with support and repeatedly say “if we had one wish.” A wish for a cure, a wish to provide comfort care, support or anything to help Valerie’s daughter. Valerie transferred her care and treatment to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, where it had been discovered that she had been misdiagnosed. Her daughter, in fact, was cancer-free and suffering from a treatable autoimmune disorder.
1Wish has been created to give to children heart-centered experiences, opportunities, and creating memories all while making an impact in the communities they serve.
It is empowering and providing support to children with life-altering conditions. 1Wish vision is to assist as many families and communities in delivering that 1Wish for a child with a life-altering illness.
1WISH FAST FACTS?
- Established in 2018
- Operates with two employees
- Managed by a 5-member Board of Governors
- Registered in the state of Arizona, grants wishes nation-wide
- Filed 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status by the IRS
- Since established over $100,000 have been donated provided to support families and hospitals
- The only Wish Granting Organization dedicated to working with communities to grant wishes for children